Politic?

This is a blog dedicated to a personal interpretation of political news of the day. I attempt to be as knowledgeable as possible before commenting and committing my thoughts to a day's communication.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Islamic Conversion and Radicalization

"A lot of the converts [to Islam] I've talked to said that before 9/11, people hadn't really heard of Islam or knew what Muslims believe, and it sent them on a quest for knowledge. Some of the people on that quest eventually convert[ed]."
"I wouldn't say it's necessarily causal, but certainly there's a relation between these big events [rush of converts to Islam after Ottawa and Quebec terrorist attacks] and increases in conversion. And we likely see that with the onset of ISIL on the world stage in the last 10 months."
Scott Flower, Australian researcher, University of Melbourne
Twitter    #ISIS Media account posts picture claiming to be Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, dead #OttawaShooting suspect. #Canada

So what is it that attracts greater numbers of people ostensibly seeking meaning in their lives, to Islam, in the wake of horrific atrocities committed by followers of Islam, motivated by one of the religion's primary obligations; the requirement that Muslims engage in jihad. Distinctions are always made by those that intercede on Islam's behalf, that jihad has two meanings; self-improvement of the mind on the one hand, and violent physical defense of Islam on the other.

With the greater non-Muslim public's attention drawn to Islam through news reports of vicious violence perpetrated by jihadists, people are motivated to learn something about the religion, and those that do and find themselves drawn in, feel compelled to convert, even when doing so might very well and often does, cause conflict between themselves and their immediate family.

Even knowing they may be ostracized and isolated, these people feel committed to Islam and convert.

Among them are those somehow predisposed to the pathology of psychopathy, attracted to the more unsavoury, yet very real portions of the religion that place obligations upon the observing to consider martyrdom a sacrifice they should be willing to commit to, as a sign of their pious belief and total surrender to the precepts of a totalitarian religion commanding believers' entire lives.

Some people respond to that stricture in their lives, favouring a faith that controls every aspect of their lives, demanding of them complete obedience. When those who feel compelled to convert do so even at the cost of alienating family and friends, their sacrifice is all the more notable. On the other hand, perhaps it isn't viewed by them as a sacrifice but a willing commitment demonstrating the extent of their individuality.

While the irony is that one cannot be an individual as a Muslim, but as a member of the ummah, conscripted into a way of life that inhibits individuality for the greater good of the whole. The greater good performed is seen as proselytizing and remaining separate and apart from non-Muslims, and the laws that regulate the lives of citizens living in countries to which Muslims tend to migrate, holding Sharia law superior to indigenous ones.

Muslim converts have been shown through various studies to be over-representative in violent action involved in western plots of terrorism. Converts make up 25 percent of Muslim Americans; in the United Kingdom they are just two or three percent. Yet despite the UK having so many fewer Muslim converts, those converts have been involved in 30 percent of attacks and plots.

In Canada, converts represent about one percent of the Muslim population. Yet almost 19 percent of Muslims convicted in three litigated Canadian terrorism cases were converts.

In Canada, the most active proselytizing groups for Islam are based on university campuses; Muslim students' associations. Their actions are geared to conversion to Islam, but not necessarily converts to fanatical Islam, though that may happen, as it most certainly does among prison populations.

Next victim: The Islamic State named Kassig as their next beheading victim after the murder of Alan Henning

'I WISH THIS PAPER WOULD GO ON FOREVER': THE EMOTIONAL MESSAGE ABDUL-RAHMAN KASSIG WROTE PARENTS FROM ISIS CELL

This is the letter that Paula and Ed Kassig received from their son in captivity on June 2, 2014. Before it was released the text was edited for length and sensitive information redacted: 
'The first thing I want to say is thank you. Both to you and mom for everything you have both done for me as parents; for everything you have taught me, shown me, and experienced with me.
'I cannot imagine the strength and commitment it has taken to raise a son like me but your love and patience are things I am so deeply grateful for.
'I am obviously pretty scared to die but the hardest part is not knowing, wondering, hoping, and wondering if I should even hope at all.
'I am very sad that all this has happened and for what all of you back home are going through.
'If I do die, I figure that at least you and I can seek refuge and comfort in knowing that I went out as a result of trying to alleviate suffering and helping those in need.
'In terms of my faith, I pray everyday and I am not angry about my situation in that sense. I am in a dogmatically complicated situation here, but I am at peace with my belief.
'I wish this paper would go on forever and never run out and I could just keep talking to you. Just know I’m with you.
'Every stream, every lake, every field and river. In the woods and in the hills, in all the places you showed me. I love you.' 








Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

() Follow @rheytah Tweet